When you own bitcoins, storing and protecting them is your own responsibility. The Ledger Nano is accessible to all, and secured thanks to highest banking industry standards. Your account can be backed up and restored if your Nano is lost or stolen. You can use your Ledger Nano on any computer, PC, Mac or Linux. Anybody can install and use it without technical skills.
You can use your Nano to store safely your bitcoins offline, and/or to make everyday secure payments online. Ledger Nano is also available in “Duo edition”: 2 Nanos operating on the same account, for a family or group use, or, for example, to have a Nano you use daily and a backup one. The Strap edition works the same way, with one of the 2 Nanos shaped as a silicon wristband.
Ledger Nano is based on the industry standard EAL5+ smartcard, a high-level security used for banks processes, passports, health care systems and governments data. Your transactions are not parsed and signed on your computer: Bitcoin main sensitive actions are done inside the Secure Element, a tamper resistant environment integrated in the microchip. Your Bitcoin private keys are never held or known by Ledger or a third part: they are hard locked in your smartcard device. With Ledger Nano, your wallet remains decentralized, you are your own bank.
Ledger Nano Features:
- Simplicity: The management interface for your Bitcoin account is a Google Chrome application, accessible and user-friendly;
- Secure: Your bitcoins are secured by a microchip locked by a PIN code. Transactions are verified by an anti-malware second factor;
- Backupable: In case of loss, you can restore it on any Ledger Wallet (Nano or another one) or all other compatible solutions (BIP 39);
- Multi-Edition: Ledger Nano exists in “Classic”, “Duo” or “Duo Strap” editions depending on your intended use, with free updates;
- USB Connection: Ledger Nano connects to standard USB ports on PC, Mac, Linux. It can also be used on a mobile with an USB adapter;
- Design & Accessories: Ledger Nano is small-sized, fancy and light. It is designed, assembled and packed in France in a cardboard box with extras.
Ledger Nano is produced by Ledger, a French startup founded in January 2015, that combines the strong expertise of its co-founders in security, smartcard, cryptography, and embedded hardware. The launch of Ledger Nano in more than 50 countries established Ledger as a reference in the international Bitcoin ecosystem. With offices and a showroom in the “Silicon Sentier” in Paris, a production facility in Vierzon, France, and a new subsidiary in San Francisco, the young company has just closed a seed funding round, and is developing its range of products, aiming to make Blockchain technology safe and easily accessible to anyone.