click here if you want to see your banner on this site

Author Topic: [ANN][♔] Britcoin 3 [BRIT] | 5% annual interest | Always on TOR  (Read 15045 times)

britcoin

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Britcoin
Re: [ANN][♔] Britcoin 3 [BRIT] | 5% annual interest | Always on TOR
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2016, 09:44:50 PM »
ProHashing gives us a new block explorer at https://prohashing.com/explorer/Britcoin/  8)

britcoin

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Britcoin
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2017, 10:12:09 PM »
New block explorer at https://chainz.cryptoid.info/brit/

(Wanted to use their API  ;D )

britcoin

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Britcoin
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 07:04:24 PM »
It seems we are being delisted from C-Cex on 1st Feb.  Please withdraw all your Britcoins from there in advance of this date.

Note that we are still listed at CoinExchange.io.

britcoin

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Britcoin
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 08:49:43 PM »
Looks like we're safe on C-Cex for now!  Please don't ignore the next delisting warning from C-Cex though if one ever comes, as they don't always allow you to withdraw your coins after delisting!

britcoin

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Britcoin
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2017, 09:19:00 PM »
No statement yet from C-Cex about CloudBleed, but I see they have a CloudFlare certificate, so please change your C-Cex passwords!

britcoin

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Britcoin
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2017, 10:43:31 PM »
I've noticed that the max coin supply (of 20 or 30 million coins) was never properly set, not even in Britcoin 1, so I plan to release a fix for that.

I can easily cap it at 30 million and have already written code to do that.

Does anyone have any thoughts about a "tail emission" to keep a smaller amount of coins being made for much longer after the 30 million limit is reached?  What form should such a tail emission take?  0.5% annual interest rate?  0.05%?

Monero has a tail emission, as does Dogecoin.  The reason tail emissions may be good is because:

- They encourage people to keep staking even after the main emission.  (Without a tail emission, stakers only get the transaction fees of transactions they include in the blocks they create.  But what happens if there are hours without any transactions?  One might give up and stake a different coin instead.)
- Perhaps they help to restrict transaction fee inflation.  ("I'm already getting money from staking so I guess I don't need to increase my fees  :)" )  Cash is one of the payment methods that Britcoin will compete with, which presently has zero fees (until cash machine operators decide to increase the fees).
- They can compensate for lost supply.  Some Britcoins are lost every year, on purpose or by accident.

Mo

secco

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin Garden
  • Re: [ANN][♔] Britcoin 3 [BRIT] | 5% annual interest | Always on TOR
    « Reply #36 on: March 02, 2017, 03:27:35 PM »
    IMO keeping the staking active forever is a good thing to secure the network.

A 0.5% yearly inflation ratio seems a reasonable ratio that should not hurt the value of the currency.

Alternatively, you could think of a fixed POS reward per block after the 30M cap is reached. Something like a 150K coins per year (0.5% of 30M coins) to be divided by the estimated number of blocks generated. This has 2 advantages:

- It keeps the network active, but the yearly inflation will be slow decreasing year after year.
    - It encourages small holders to stake, as the reward is no longer related to the coins you hold but to number the blocks you solve.

Hacker, Pirate, Milf Hunter, Owner of Bitcoin Garden

britcoin

• Novice
      • View Profile
      • Britcoin
    « Reply #37 on: March 23, 2017, 09:17:18 PM »
    General update - 23rd March 2017

Wallet development

Thanks to the BRIT community on being patient about these.  We cannot release new mobile or desktop wallets yet because they depend on an Electrum server, and there's a bug in the Britcoin Electrum server where it becomes unresponsive after a while.  We're still trying to sort this out but hope to have it done soon.

Due to the time lost to this bug, the new desktop wallet will just be a 'Lite' Electrum wallet of the kind you've seen in some other coins, rather than than an entirely new beast.  (We need to get a desktop wallet with SPV functionality and deterministic addresses completed as per the roadmap before the end of the period for which the investor gave funding.)  So you'd have a choice between our standard TOR-using desktop wallet that downloads the blockchain and stakes, or the Lite wallet that isn't on TOR by default and can't stake, but doesn't need to download the blockchain.

There is also a new version of the standard desktop wallet due for release with a small tail emission and minor visual improvements, as soon as we can manage to get it compiled for Windows and Mac.

Website

We have a new website at Britcoin.com; check it out!  You'll note it also links to a paper wallet and brain wallet generator (Services->Offline Storage).  Be very careful with brain wallets -- It's easy for a computer to try so many different phrases to guess your passphrase and take your coins.

Exchanges

It is expected that we will be added to the UK fiat->crypto gateway Cryptomate next weekend.  Please support the buy walls on C-Cex and CoinExchange to help give buyers more predictable and reasonable prices!
    « Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 09:48:34 PM by britcoin »

britcoin

• Novice
      • View Profile
      • Britcoin
    « Reply #38 on: April 07, 2017, 03:07:39 PM »
    Britcoin is live on Cryptomate.co.uk for UK people to purchase BRIT using GBP!

However the founder of Britcoin and Cryptomate, Will7am, is at CoinFest in Manchester right now, so they may not be able to fulfil every order throughout the day.

britcoin

• Novice
      • View Profile
      • Britcoin
    « Reply #39 on: April 07, 2017, 03:16:59 PM »
    It is expected that we will be added to the UK fiat->crypto gateway Cryptomate next weekend.  Please support the buy walls on C-Cex and CoinExchange to help give buyers more predictable and reasonable prices!

Of course it's the sell walls that need supporting, to give Britcoin buyers a good price!
    « Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 03:21:16 PM by britcoin »

britcoin

• Novice
      • View Profile
      • Britcoin
    « Reply #40 on: May 02, 2017, 09:25:09 PM »
    Britcoin 3.3.0.3 is now available at https://britcoin.com/wallets/ and https://github.com/britcoin3/britcoin3.3/releases for Debian/Ubuntu and Windows.  No Mac version yet.

It sets a tail distribution of 0.5% annual interest for stakers, after the main 30 million coin emission is done.  There are also a few minor graphical improvements in the wallet.

If you're a Mac user or just don't feel like upgrading yet, you can use Britcoin 3.3.0.2 for now.  But please don't use a version lower than that as those old versions don't do enough to block pre-fork versions and other coins that use Britcoin's code.
    « Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 09:04:30 PM by britcoin »

britcoin

• Novice
      • View Profile
      • Britcoin
    « Reply #41 on: June 09, 2017, 12:26:35 PM »
    Fellow Britians,

The six months for which the investor gave funding have passed, and as we didn't have things such as SPV wallets with HD addresses by the deadline, it isn't clear if he'll continue funding this Britcoin revival project.

In any case, I've lost motivation to continue so I think now is a good time for me to leave.  I hope that I am replaced as soon as possible.  They say it's never a good time to leave, but I feel I am enabling the investor to keep underfunding and undersupporting this project by carrying on working and paying for things myself, so perhaps this can spur change.  Please consider the Coinomi integration my parting gift, which paves the way for future Britcoin SPV wallets based off the ElectrumX technology, bypassing the issues I had getting Electrum servers to work with Britcoin.

I'll just keep the seed nodes running, and I ask the community to keep the chain going by staking using the 3.3.0.2 and 3.3.0.3 wallets.

Will or perhaps Richard will keep you up to date with happenings from now on, but as Will doesn't like to use different forums you'll have to check bitcointalk: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1463367.new#new

Mo

britcoin

• Novice
      • View Profile
      • Britcoin
    « Reply #42 on: June 15, 2017, 05:48:32 PM »
    Just one more thing: We need everyone who stakes to be on v3.3.0.3 going forwards.  There are too many reports of people falling out of sync after staking on older versions.  To that end I've gotten a Mac version of 3.3.0.3 produced, which you can find a link to in the OP (page 1 of this thread).  Thanks to MystPhysX for compilation and patcrypt for testing.

Oink,
    Mo

Bitcoin Garden 2013-2024, All rights reserved | Privacy Policy | DMCA | About Bitcoin Garden | Support & Services