click here if you want to see your banner on this site

Author Topic: Hijacking Computers for Cryptocurrency Mining  (Read 308 times)

Lore

• View Profile
Hijacking Computers for Cryptocurrency Mining
« on: July 04, 2019, 02:38:36 PM »
Hello everyone. I heard one guy went to read an article the other day and they put up a big screen saying "if you want to read, then allow us to use you computer to mine while you do so". What is that supposed to mean? Is there anybody dealing with mining? Is it really about hijacking computers for mining? They say your computer could be secretly mining cryptocurrency. Is it true? If it is so, what crypto-mining tools needed? How can i find out if my computer is hijacked? Any particular websites or infected advertisement you know about? Feel free to share your opinion. Would be grateful for any piece of information.

ledmage

• View Profile
Re: Hijacking Computers for Cryptocurrency Mining
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 07:37:54 AM »
It's possible.  Mining is basically calculating advanced algorithms however you should be able to easily detect this if you find your GPU/CPU usage very high from browsing the internet which would turn your PC very sluggish. Same would apply to a mobile phone or tablet.

I haven't heard of this recently as it's likely not very profitable to do so anymore.  For example you could mine BTC (SHA-256 Mining Algorithm) on a new iPhone for a whole year and mine about a penny's worth.

secco

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin Garden
  • Re: Hijacking Computers for Cryptocurrency Mining
    « Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 01:21:13 PM »
    Yes. There has been cases of websites using malicious javascript code to mine xmr using user's cpu power. Right now antivirus software should correctly identify those as malware, so it shouldn't be a threat anymore.
    Hacker, Pirate, Milf Hunter, Owner of Bitcoin Garden

Bitcoin Garden 2013-2024, All rights reserved | Privacy Policy | DMCA | About Bitcoin Garden | Support & Services