click here if you want to see your banner on this site

Author Topic: 🔄🔄🔄🔄 ―――― ▲ MOIN ―― 2 Years On, Still Going Strong! ―― 🔄🔄🔄🔄  (Read 23641 times)

KingCaper

• Garden Hero
    • View Profile
    • Discover MOIN
Apologies, I've been neglecting to post our fortnightly updates here. Here's the latest one - all updates will posted here going forwards.

Fortnightly Sunday Update

Hello all. Not a huge amount to report since the last update was a little late. The twitter price bot temporarily stopped its illustrious spamming as the C-Cex API has been playing up. So I "delisted" them from it. Heh.   ;D

“All of our policies and communications are designed to attract the business-oriented long-term owner and to filter out possible buyers whose focus is short-term and market-oriented.” -Warren Buffett

I might put that in the OP. A few people have asked for more information about The Platform recently. Again, I think it's not in our best interests to release information on it for now. This strategy was originally at least partly a reaction to, and a way to try to differentiate us from, the plague of other crypto projects who over-promise and then under-deliver (or don't deliver at all). The continuation of this strategy is pretty well summed up by the above quote. At the moment the relationship between the team and investors is really good because we've always done our best to make clear that we're committed to this for the long-term. If we were to announce our plans with great fanfare too far in advance I think we'd be setting ourselves up for more and more questions in the coming weeks from new traders eager to flip their coins and move on to the next big one. It wouldn't be fun and I'd probably become much less communicative. As it stands we've built a small, friendly community. The enquiries we get are always polite and the people we've attracted are almost all really good-natured. That might not mean much monetarily, but it means a lot to me and it's part of the reason I enjoy working on MOIN so much.

I suppose in a way this strategy is emblematic of not just my, but the whole team's attitude and approach. When there's a choice between an easy option that'll bring MOIN some immediate short-term glory, or a more difficult option that will benefit us more in the long-term, we'll almost always choose the latter. Me, crz and axhllt all share a diligence in the way we go about things. It's not about finishing the work, it's about making something of the highest possible quality. We each put a lot of care and thought into what we do.

So me, I've been doing a lot of reading and studying and thinking about design patterns and how to make sure The Platform code will be clean and intelligible to make it easy for other developers to contribute in the future. It's actually axllht who's probably been doing the most exciting work of late - he's been secretly working up potential new designs for both the website and the wallet. Even unfinished they're both looking pretty special and I think the final wallet design in particular will do a lot to help to define MOIN with a personality and style of its own.

That's all for now, talk to you all in two weeks (if not sooner) when I'll probably have to come up with another overly-wordy way of saying "Believe me, we're working on it!"   :)
MOIN Developer  |  PGP: https://keybase.io/kingcaper

KingCaper

• Garden Hero
    • View Profile
    • Discover MOIN
Fortnightly Update

For a while I've had a clear idea about what form The Platform will take, but I wasn't sure exactly how we'd get there from here. Recently things have really started to crystallize.

The system will have 3 parts. The combination of these 3 parts constitutes what I've been referring to as The Platform. Originally I'd planned for there to be no more significant updates released until the alpha was done. I've now changed my mind, partly because I think incremental development and releases is more efficient and partly because the modularity of the system permits it. It also means a bit less uncertainty for investors.

Having to write these updates has made me more acutely aware of the passing of time and has got me thinking about things like time constraints and their effects on productivity etc. Basically, I'm concerned that without firm targets things might drift or the pace might get a bit too leisurely. Maybe having no firm targets is just as bad as having unrealistic ones. Since each of the 3 parts that make up The Platform can operate independently and provide useful functionality in and of themselves they will be incorporated into the wallet and released as and when each of them is ready. Although I'm not going to give an ETA right now, future updates will include some sort of graphical representation of how much progress has been made towards the completion of each part.

Aside from all this, axllht's been hard at work on designs for the individual tabs of the redesigned wallet and the two of us have also been trying to straighten out some overlapping/inconsistent use of terminology and counter-intuitive categorisation of features in the current design. User experience stuff. For the first time in a while it's felt like we have an actual team working on development and it feels good.

Since there's no clear preference in the poll regarding market alerts I'll try to put together something that'll broadcast via them all. I'll let you know when it's done.

KingCaper

• Garden Hero
    • View Profile
    • Discover MOIN
Fortnightly Update

Hello all. I'm in a good flow work-wise and there's lots to do so I'll keep this brief. The above graphic (thanks crz!) shows the estimated progress on the 3 core components of The Platform. They're numbered in the order that I'll be working on and expect to release them. An implicit fourth step will involve combining them. Like "The Platform", "mApp" (MOIN App) is just a term we're using for the sake of the discussion - I don't think we'll use it for the actual finished products.

Over the last two weeks I've fixed our unit tests and have been working on mApp 1 and in between on the sell alert system. The alert system should hopefully be finished in time for the next update. As there's no real consensus as to what constitutes a significant sell order, those receiving alerts via email (and possibly IRC) can specify the trigger amount. Axllht has been busy reworking and refining his wallet design as well as working on revamping discovermoin.com.

In light of the worrying news regarding the British Government forcing companies to put backdoors into encrypted messaging services, I'll be giving some thought to ways in which we could extend the privacy-protecting capabilities of MOIN.

Good luck to everyone who's submitted an entry to the (still running!) MOIN Movement T-Shirt Design Content.   ;)

Till next time.

KingCaper

• Garden Hero
    • View Profile
    • Discover MOIN

Not much to report today. I lost a good chunk of time due to being essentially without internet for about a week. Very frustrating. The alert system is all but done though, I just need to hook it up to Mailgun and run a few tests. I've been working on mApp 1 too but I'm not sure I got enough done to warrant adding another completed step so I've left the graphic as it was for now.

Axllht's made good progress with the website redesign, Jookly's been looking into ways he can use his newly honed skills to contribute and crz got a great deal on the Twin Peaks seasons 1 & 2 blu-ray boxset. So all is well! I'll post again with all the info once the alert system is fully up and running. ˇHasta luego amigos!

KingCaper

• Garden Hero
    • View Profile
    • Discover MOIN

Greetings all, hope everyone is well!

Market Alert System

The Market Alert System is finished. It scrapes exchanges once a minute and posts alerts of new sell orders as long as they are below, equal to, or less than 25% above the current market price (according to coinmarketcap), and involving a certain threshold amount of MOIN. There are several ways to get alerts - @MOINAlerts on twitter will tweet about any new sells of 5000 MOIN or more and these alerts will also appear in the #market_alerts channel on Slack. Click here for an invitation.

There's also the option to get email alerts for which you can set your own trigger amount (e.g. 20,000 MOIN). If you'd like to get email alerts send me a message with your email address and the desired amount. I might extend the system to an IRC channel too if there's demand.

I've set what I think are sensible rate limits for it - one tweet per exchange every fifteen minutes and no more than one email every 30 minutes. Given the scarcity of heavy sell orders I don't expect the limits to be hit too often (at least until trading volume picks up). We may need to tweak a few parameters to get it just right. Let me know your thoughts.

Mac Wallet

Due to popular demand, the MOIN macOS client:

I've been doing some travelling over the last two weeks so I wasn't able to do any work on The Platform in between finishing up the alert system, but I'm headed somewhere quiet for the next month or so so that I can get my head down. Axllht tells me the new MOIN website is nearly done, so that's coming soon too! If it's summer wherever you are in the world I hope you're enjoying it and if there are any other programmers in the community who'd like to get involved, or you'd like to contribute in some other way, then drop us a line.

Skĺl!

KingCaper

• Garden Hero
    • View Profile
    • Discover MOIN

Hello Bitcoingarden crew! You're a talkative bunch aren't you?!   ;D

As I mentioned in the last update, I've been doing a bit of travelling over the summer. "Gather ye rosebuds" and all that. I had my laptop with me, but to be honest I didn't get much developing done over the last two weeks. It also took me a bit longer than expected to get to where I was going, but I'm here now with desktop reassembled and upgraded and MVP scrawled on the whiteboard above my desk. It's a good environment to work in and there's nothing to distract me, so I expect the next few weeks to be productive.

MOIN Facebook Group

Given my dereliction of duty, it's not surprising that the most noteworthy developments and contributions have been due to the hard work of others. For anyone who missed ilog's news - in an inspired feat of guerrilla marketing he managed to acquire the old SDC Facebook Group for us. So if you're on Facebook, be sure to take a look:

https://www.facebook.com/moinproject/

Website Redesign

Axxlht's been busy translating his new vision for the official website into code. He brought up the possibility of starting a MOIN wiki for more in-depth technical descriptions of the feature overviews from the site. Obviously I'll help where I can, but ideally this is something it'd be best for other team/community members to take the lead with so that I can focus on development. So if you've got some spare time and are able, please come help us out!

Earlier today on Slack someone asked about an Android wallet. Kopykat's mentioned Coinomi in the past and I think a multi-coin wallet like this would be the best option for now. I've put up a poll to gauge demand. If there's enough interest we could maybe use a small portion of the community fund to cover the fees.

That's all for now. Everyone deserves a little time off, but if there's not another little tick on that Platform graphic by the next update I expect you all to give me a sound kicking!

Gesondheid!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:56:06 PM by KingCaper »

KingCaper

• Garden Hero
    • View Profile
    • Discover MOIN

Hello!

I'll be honest, this one snuck up on me. Up until yesterday morning I thought I'd another week till the next update was due. Still, development of mApp1 is going well and I'd rather be working on it than talking about it so that's all there is to say about it for now.

Axllht's still working on the new discovermoin.com and Jookly's been helping with scripts for pulling in stats from the explorer.

Steady progress being made on all fronts.

Na zdrowie!

KingCaper

• Garden Hero
    • View Profile
    • Discover MOIN
Fortnightly Update

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Hello all!

Axllht and Jookly are putting the finishing touches to the new discovermoin.com, so it should be live before the next update. It's a thing of beauty.

I was really happy to hear from thecryptocartel this week, who's offered to help us with development - thank you and welcome aboard to him! He already has a paper wallet generator pretty much done! As we get further along with the individual mApps and The Platform the amount of peripheral services we're going to need is only going to increase, so if anyone else in the community has the skills and would like to join us then drop me a message!

I don't think I've ever felt so confident that we can actually pull all this off. It's mostly because of investing in a few relatively low-key but obviously legitimate projects that I'm in a position now to work on MOIN full time. It's nice to think we might do the same for others. Come the next update it might be time to reveal what mApp 1 is. We'll see how things stand. That's enough yapping for now... onwards!

Noroc!

KingCaper

• Garden Hero
    • View Profile
    • Discover MOIN

Salutations all!

For anyone who missed it, "mApp" 1 will be Proof of Existence & Proof of Ownership. This means you'll be able to prove that a certain file existed at a particular time by including a hash of it in a MOIN transaction. Similarly, you can prove you "owned" the file by including a signature that signs the hash using one of your keys.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Proof_of_Ownership

I'm currently working on constructing transactions with an appropriate OP_RETURN output (which will contain the file hash), and storing and retrieving an individual user's proofs between sessions. After that, there's the UI and workflow for hashing files/committing proofs to do, tweaking the transaction table and a few other bits and pieces. We'll have to increase the default maximum OP_RETURN tx size at some point too.

mObLOBScHAr has been good enough to offer some of his free time and skills to helping out on the development side and has begun writing a block parser that'll be able to index OP_RETURN transactions. The plan is for this to form the basis of a site that'll allow people to browse and verify proofs via the web.

I knew I was tempting fate by saying the new website should be finished before the time of this update. It's not, but will be soon.

Axllht has done a mountain of work on the new website and the next wallet design. Jookly put together the MOIN movement and has showed the patience of a saint answering all the questions from noobs. Vella's been singing our praises on Twitter for months. Cryptocartel and mObLOB have just recently offered to pitch in, crz made the above graphic, ilog picked up the SDC facebook group for us, and I spend hours every day working on the code (and my Sunday nights writing these updates to keep everyone informed). Our market cap is over 30x what it was 12 months ago and these are the people making your money grow. It may seem like we move slowly sometimes, but we're a modestly-sized team with big ambitions and no multi-million dollar ICO fund to piss away. To be blunt, it's fucking hard work at times... but we are getting there.

So if you have a stake in the project and think you can help in any way then don't hesitate to come forward. I'm beginning to feel like one of those TV charity appeal adverts repeating this every time ... "for only 7 dollars a month you can help change the life of an occasionally dispirited cryptocurrency developer" ... but that's how a project like this will achieve big things in spite of the resource gap. If everyone with a stake in MOIN was to devote a few hours each week to helping move it forward, I've no doubt we'd get to where we're headed a lot sooner. So I'm going to keep trying to coax others out of the shadows. When Dogecoin started they developed a huge and rabidly fanatical community as a straight Litecoin clone backed only by a meme. I'm not suggesting we can do the same, but I see no reason why we shouldn't be making some efforts to grow the community now while development is ongoing. But I don't have the time to spearhead that and develop too. So it's up to you guys.

PM me if you'd like an invite to the Riot team chan.

Till next time,
Egészségedre!

P.S. Still no Masternodes!   ;)

KingCaper

• Garden Hero
    • View Profile
    • Discover MOIN

This week we were horrified to learn that China has outlawed trading of MOIN. Punishable by grisly death. Scandalous!

Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.
                                                                                                                                                                       -  Abraham Lincoln

There's been a bit of upheaval in my life these last two weeks. I'm in the process of moving house, so I've been busy sifting through possessions, thinking about the future - and I've found myself doing something similar with MOIN. Re-evaluating, recalibrating... "sharpening the axe".
The strategies and approaches that have served us well up to now aren't necessarily the ones that will serve us best going forward. Specifically, amongst other things, I'm considering outsourcing development of mApp2 to allow me to work on mApp3 once PoE is done. I'll let you all know when a decision's been made.

Congratulations to vella85 on winning the Tweet contest! Thoroughly deserved and thank you to everyone who took part. Thanks too to Jookly for organising it all - and in fact to the whole team, because since mentioning feeling like we were lacking in the marketing department it feels like everyone involved has contributed in one way or another on that front. So good work all, your efforts are very much appreciated!

Also, thecryptocartel finished up the paper wallet generator so that'll be appearing on the new discovermoin.com (which is due any day now!).

PM me if you'd like an invite to the Riot team chan and remember kids, just say no to ICOs!  ;)

Ke masa depan!

KingCaper

• Garden Hero
    • View Profile
    • Discover MOIN

New Website

Feast thine eyes on the new discovermoin.com! It's the culmination of many weeks of work from axllht and, as I'm sure you'll agree, is a thing of rare beauty! It contains much more information than the old one did and will continue to grow and evolve as the project does. Tell your friends!
Here is his MOIN address if you would like to say you to him:

Mf2tk59XoJCmExzvgWrMggkwT8KfB7E2eM

Thanks also to Jookly for writing the scripts powering those tasty infographics! If you notice any bugs or have any suggestions about how it could be improved please let us know.

GitHub

The website's not the only thing that's gotten a revamp - thecryptocartel has created a much more pretty and informative GitHub README to greet people visiting the MOIN repo. Check it out: https://github.com/MOIN/moin

Riot Room

The way the crypto community embraced Slack has never really sat right with me. For the last few weeks the dev team has been using Riot and though it's still a little rough around the edges, it's proven to be a more than capable open source alternative. There are bridges between IRC, Slack and Riot so whichever one you choose you won't miss out on anything. But I recommend giving Riot a go:

https://riot.im/app/#/room/#moin-general:matrix.org

Fortnightly Updates

Although I quite enjoy doing it, I spend a disproportionate amount of time writing these updates. So in keeping with our new laser-like focus on efficiency, the fortnightly updates will henceforth be brought to you by our trusty Community Manager Jookly, who I've no doubt will do a splendid job keeping you all informed. In the mean time, I will be coding and vetting developers.

I've seen a few posts on Reddit lately... words of wisdom from crypto "old-timers" - guys who've been around for 2 or 3 months dispensing their sage investment advice to the noobs. Often it's just a thinly veiled advertisement for one of this week's ICOs. Anyway, long ago a wise man gave me a little piece of advice. Over time, it came to change my life. It can be summed up in four short words...

Buy right, hold tight.

Kanpai friends!  ;)

Jookly

• Novice
    • View Profile
Fortnightly Sunday Update #14
Hello out there Moin cryptommunity.  I figured since this is my first time giving and being responsible for the fortnightly update I would start it off by just saying so. So what happened in the last two weeks with Moin?
Preparing Reddit
The team has been working on getting the r/MOIN subreddit prepared for its grand opening.  Axllht has been beautifying it to match the new websites style.  I have been getting a tipbot ready for the subreddit.  Everyone has been pitching in to test the bot.  It will be great to open this subreddit to the public when it is ready.  I am really looking forward to it!
What Is KingCaper Doing?
Whats the big guy up stairs doing?  This week he has needed to take time to work on a non-roadmapped task that will bring a host of benefits to Moin as we continue in to development of THE PLATFORM.  I will leave it at that and up to him for revealing details on this when the time is right.
Moin Community Contributors League
We had a really constructive discussion through the unified Moin chats about the need for more marketing and community engagement.  One actionable item we landed on is the resurgence of something older moiniacs might remember from when we were mostly on irc.  The idea is the Moin Community Contributors League.  The basic idea is to have weekly competition and rewards for promoting Moin.  We will reveal more details on this soon.
Bounty Program
The second item that came out of our discussion was that we can offer bounties for specific projects, then have people sign up for and accomplish those projects.  We will begin facilitating this process soon.  A couple examples of the types of bounties we are talking about here might begetting an article written about Moin or getting a really tight t-shirt design made.  We still have coins that should go to a T-shirt designer.  We will figure out how to make this happen.
Gun bae! -Jookly

Jookly

• Novice
    • View Profile
Fortnightly Sunday Update #15

Has it been two weeks already?  Let's take a look at what has been going on behind the scenes with MOIN.

Reddit Tipbot Stabalized

We had a kind of funny incident where the day we started testing a seemingly final version of the bot reddit changed their api output!  The bot we are working with uses a library that was incompatible with the new reddit api responses.  What was really amazing was that within 10 hours of the problem the beautiful open source community provided a fix! So long story short the reddit tipbot for our upcoming subreddit seems to be functioning well now. 

King Caper Works On PART Fork

King Caper announced this week that the task diverting him at the moment away from development of the platform is working on how to correctly fork the PART code base.  MOIN will eventually swap over to this codebase which will provide a plethora of benefits for future development.  The specifics of the swap are still to be determined.

Birthday Subbreddit Launchtacullar?

November 4th marks the anniversary of this thread OP and as such is in a way the 2nd birthday of MOIN 2.0.  Although we can't make a super special pinky promise we are hoping to be able to coincide this date with the launch of the new subreddit and the opening of signups for the Moin Movement League.  It will be really nice to open up MOIN discussions on reddit and interact with the larger crypto currency community there.

Submit Your Ideas For Moin Movement League Tasks

Finally just a reminder to submit those ideas for tasks people can take on in exchange for promotional credits.

Cheers! -Jookly

itsmarge

• Novice
    • View Profile
You surely are never tired of updating this thread.  ;)

KingCaper

• Garden Hero
    • View Profile
    • Discover MOIN
Happy 2nd Birthday!

So November 4th is the day we started this thread and as such is the day we celebrate as MOIN's birthday, so happy birthday everyone! Much love and thanks to everyone on the team and the whole community. I think we all deserve to be proud - there are many, many coins that never made it this far. We have two years' worth of experience and learning under our belts, and some big plans for (and possible changes coming) in the future. We're just getting started. Cheers everyone!

MOIN Subreddit Now Open

https://www.reddit.com/r/moin

The MOIN subreddit is now open for business. As you can see from the screenshot, as far as subreddit's go it's pretty darned beautiful - we have Axllht to thank for that! Lucky posters may find themselves on the receiving end of a tip too. Big thanks to Jookly who's running the MOIN tipbot and who spent many an hour hunting down bugs so that we all may show our appreciation for the very dankest of MOIN memes with more than a simple upvote. Come on over, you'll all be Moiniacs sooner or later!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:27:57 PM by KingCaper »

Bitcoin Garden 2013-2024, All rights reserved | Privacy Policy | DMCA | About Bitcoin Garden | Support & Services