click here if you want to see your banner on this site

Author Topic: How to get the most value out of your remodel  (Read 2734 times)

helgajones

• i am a blogger and an interior designer
    • View Profile
How to get the most value out of your remodel
« on: May 25, 2015, 10:24:10 AM »
Many home remodels are great for you and your current needs but may make it nearly impossible to sell the house later. That is why it is import you know what to do when remodeling and whether or not it is worth it, especially to someone looking to move out one day. Here are some good ideas for remodels and a few bad ones too, thanks to Forbes.

Good remodeling ideas to raise value

1. Kitchens – Kitchens sell your house, and you might as well live in it and enjoy it while you can instead of getting it finished just in time to sell.

2. Adding living space – Every square foot counts when it comes to selling your house later. If you need more living space for your current situation, it never hurts to put the money into it. You will certainly benefit from more space. Just be careful not to add so much because being the biggest house on the block is never good for your home value.

3. Curb appeal – Feel like updating the front curb? Great! People won’t even come look at the house if they don’t like the way it looks on the outside. Every bit counts. Try not to overdo it, but you’ll likely get a lot of value out of those new bushes and flowers.

4. Master Suites – Most people tell themselves this doesn’t matter to them, but they sure are impressed when they walk into a master suite that makes them feel right at home. Many people will buy a home for the master suite, so feel free to upgrade and update that to your liking.

5. Bathrooms – Because it is the dirtiest and most easily outdated part of the home, buyers love to see nice bathrooms. Remodeling bathrooms will sure cost you a pretty penny, but you’ll enjoy it as much as the next owner.

Bad remodeling ideas for resale

1. Kids spaces – Though your kid might enjoy the personalization, adding cool built-ins to your kids room makes it hard for buyers to see it as anything but a kids room. Don’t waste the money when your kids are perfectly happy playing with other things that aren’t built-in.

2. Pools – People will like this in your home, but you are going to lose a lot more money to the pool than you gain in resale value later. Don’t get me wrong, if you want a pool, go ahead and do it, but don’t expect to make your money back.

3. Wine rooms – Not only do these not appeal to every buyer, they also take up a lot of space that could have potentially been used for someone else. Though it is cool and may fit you perfectly, it won’t help boost your buying potential.

4. Removing features – Just because you don’t like to use the fireplace doesn’t mean someone else won’t also. In fact, most features like that appeal to buyers, so keeping it around (even if you don’t use it) will be worth it for selling later.

5. Adding a few feet – Sometimes you do an addition just to make your bathroom slightly larger.

This is almost never worth it because it costs so much money and doesn’t really add value. If you are going to do an addition, just do a large one with a lot of room.

Interior Decorating and Remodeling News Brought to You by BaseBoardRadiatorCover.com

Source:
forbes.com/sites/houzz/2015/05/22/5-best-and-5-worst-resale-value-remodels/

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:52:53 AM by helgajones »

Davis222

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: How to get the most value out of your remodel
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 11:10:58 AM »
This is a very useful post, especially for me as I've been in the process of remodeling my house. I started with my metal roof painting and I've already found out how to paint it on this web site as it provided me with all necessary information. But there is a lot of work ahead, so I'll take into account your tips. I'm glad that I've found this thread. Thanks for sharing!

SlimLJ

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 10:53:04 AM »
Thanks for the article. Very convenient.

Bananas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 10:59:26 AM »
I finished my bathroom renovation just a few weeks ago and I wish I found this article before that.  Anyway, I can share some tips too. The first thing you should be worried about is electricity, only after dealing with it you should install a toilet. For example, I decided to install one of these Kohler Cimarron toilets with side flush, fitted my small bathroom perfectly.

Diana2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 11:39:22 PM »
Renovating the house you should think before for whom you are doing this renovation. It's not the same thing to renovate the home for yourself and for selling it. Some things that you like may be not popular. For example, you may like the red color of the walls in you room, but if you want to sell the house it’s better to paint the walls in some neutral color. There are some companies that offer home improvement services https://ikhomepros.com/home-improvement/ for sellers. So you can improve your home to sell it for higher price.

bemoSKR

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 07:56:33 AM »
WoW, I like your post, it is very interesting and all the details areNV awesome.

Wasquez

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 11:24:06 AM »
I am so happy when people are posting stuff that they've renovated

Erika567

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 11:19:10 AM »
Good info. We are currently doing a home renovation. It turned out to be more difficult than we expected. We decided to start with exterior works. We have already repaired the roof and replaced the gutters (btw, we found a good company that did it at an affordable price, you can check the leaf filter reviews if interested). And I want to thank you for the useful tips, I'll bear them in mind.

Bitcoin Garden 2013-2024, All rights reserved | Privacy Policy | DMCA | About Bitcoin Garden | Support & Services