click here if you want to see your banner on this site

Author Topic: Ethereum Market Cap half of Bitcoin. Will it catch up?  (Read 1200 times)

urbancrypto

• Novice
    • View Profile
Ethereum Market Cap half of Bitcoin. Will it catch up?
« on: May 24, 2017, 04:32:15 PM »
As we saw the Ethereum market cap pass Ripple as the leading altcoin, how close can it get to Bitcoin itself?  Is it a fair comparison as Ethereum has 5 and a half more coins than bitcoin?
https://urbancrypto.com/cryptocurrencies/

secco

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin Garden
  • Re: Ethereum Market Cap half of Bitcoin. Will it catch up?
    « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 09:01:21 PM »
    This is a very good point. I was thinking the same...

In this altcoin madness is hard to keep the point. Bitcoin was supposed to be the reserve of value. I understand many moved BTC to ALT looking for higher profits, but in my opinion ETH markecap seems a bit too high... : /

Hacker, Pirate, Milf Hunter, Owner of Bitcoin Garden

urbancrypto

• Novice
      • View Profile
    Re: Ethereum Market Cap half of Bitcoin. Will it catch up?
    « Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 12:14:45 PM »
    This is a very good point. I was thinking the same...

In this altcoin madness is hard to keep the point. Bitcoin was supposed to be the reserve of value. I understand many moved BTC to ALT looking for higher profits, but in my opinion ETH markecap seems a bit too high... : /
    I would agree.  Is there a Bitcoin Bubble?  Ethereum Bubble?  It would seem closer to an Ethereum one as its price may only be driven by the prolification of ICOs.  But the bubble may not be near the burst point.

secco

• Administrator
    • Legendary
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin Garden
    « Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 11:57:34 PM »
    Altcoin bubble probably. Partially due because bitcoin didn't grow as expected for long time, partially now driver by the general market euphoria.

Bitcoin bubble I don't think. There could correction in price, but I don't think can drop very much. I mean hundreds of dollar possible, if not probable, but not a suddenly drop at 1000something value. I don't think it will fall shortly under $2000... I'm wondering indeed what happen when segwit activates. Do the markets already anticipated it, or will we see another surge?

It is interesting to see, looking at the chart, BTC took one full year after the mtgox collapse to hit the bottom...

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:59:20 PM by secco »

urbancrypto

• Novice
      • View Profile
    Re: Ethereum Market Cap half of Bitcoin. Will it catch up?
    « Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 11:58:34 AM »
    Altcoin bubble probably. Partially due because bitcoin didn't grow as expected for long time, partially now driver by the general market euphoria.

Bitcoin bubble I don't think. There could correction in price, but I don't think can drop very much. I mean hundreds of dollar possible, if not probable, but not a suddenly drop at 1000something value. I don't think it will fall shortly under $2000... I'm wondering indeed what happen when segwit activates. Do the markets already anticipated it, or will we see another surge?

It is interesting to see, looking at the chart, BTC took one full year after the mtgox collapse to hit the bottom...
    I think the real question is, at ths point is Ethereum just another alt coin or something more.

secco

• Administrator
    • Legendary
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin Garden
    « Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 12:40:56 PM »
    I think the real question is, at ths point is Ethereum just another alt coin or something more.

Correct.

From my point of view BTC is set to be the reserve of value (like gold), where big capitals are parked. I see BTC that way, more than a currency. At least until block size problem is solved.

ETH "should" be the standard for smart contracts. Still, we are very far from seeing "real everyday life applications" for smart contracts, so a lot will probably happen before going to that point.

Not sure if ETH can also become the standard for "tokens". In the smart contracts ecosystem ETH has almost no serious competitors (Aeternity the only good one, maybe?). In the token market, there are already some good ones... WAVES, BTS... BYTEBALL also has good potential...

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 12:42:32 PM by secco »

Bitcoin Garden 2013-2024, All rights reserved | Privacy Policy | DMCA | About Bitcoin Garden | Support & Services